Tuesday 31 May 2011

The way a day should end!

Its 1am, my wrists ache with turning screws (my faithful drill has died) but I have 2 curved sofa arms, a working compressor, a van that starts first time and a new brake pipe almost fitted....


Im pleased with my sofa, the second arm was a bit tricky (hesitant mindset, you have to be masterful with bits of wood or they do as they please!) so I decided to use 2 pieces on the bend (and a whole box of panel pins!) but its there and once the glue is set is it will stay there! It is being upholstered (when i figure out how :-/....) so it doesn't need to look pretty yet. I even put the hinges on the seat bases, hinges and I don't generally see eye to eye, but its done and I reackon I won!



Brake pipe dilema is also solved, remarkably easily.  I've had some valuable assistance from a very nice gentleman Jim, from the SBMCC who was passing this way on a trip and offered to help out. He suggested that Dan remove the old breakpipe and take it to a garage for them to make a new one. At 4:30pm the old pipe is removed and off they go, returning at 5pm with a new shiny breakpipe complete with connecting ends and it only cost a fiver! Its not fitted yet as I was too engrossed with bending bits of wood to stop and let them jack up the van. They decided to replace Jims oil filter instead, which all went well until they discovered a washer that Dan should have put back on, luckily they only lost a litre or so of the gallons of new oil trying to fit it retrospectively.... Jim restrained (restrained? did I mention it was 1 am when I wrote that?...I mean refrained, obviously...I disagree with restraints!) from slapping him :)....But I doubt Dan will ever make that mistake again....the timeless irony of youth verses experience.

I SWORNED the van today, I don't see the point in spending £112 when the van isn't going to leave Adrians driveway for a few weeks yet. Most of my remaining 'van money' went to Unite as a deposit for my daughters room for college, hence the lack of 'costs' at the end of each blog :) ...I'm having to use what I can find/beg and borrow, strangely I find it much more entertaining than just buying the stuff I need. I have most of the necessary items, but will have to smile sweetly at work to get extra tips to buy the inevitable odds and ends.

The van started first time this morning and the compressor behaved too, my faith in it is being restored rapidly and Im again thinking about its debut trip.  All is well again in van world, and thanks Jim...

No comments:

Post a Comment